From sunburn and sexually transmitted infections to personal safety, always be prepared.
- Road accidents abroad - road accidents are a major cause of holiday injuries
- Travel and sexual health - don't bring home an unwanted memento from your holiday
- Sun safety - avoiding the worst effects of the hot weather
- Staying safe in the snow - avoiding illness when you're on the slopes
- Drugs and alcohol abroad - attitudes vary around the world, as do the penalties
- Water safety on holiday - be aware of the dangers lurking in the calmest of waters
- Needle hygiene on holiday - shared needles are one of the main sources of HIV infection
- Fire safety on holiday - be aware of your fire safety away, as you would at home
- Personal safety while travelling - don't become a victim while you're away
ILLNES & INJURY ON HOLIDAY
A bad bout of diarrhoea or mosquito bites can wreck your holiday. Discover how to avoid problems and what to do if the worst happens.
- Bites - some animals and insects can carry infectious diseases
- Diarrhoea - avoid letting an upset tummy spoil your holiday
- Skiing injuries - hit the slopes prepared
- Illness post-holiday - sometimes symptoms of an illness are delayed until you're back home
PLANNING A HEALTHY HOLIDAY
Make yourself a check-list, whether it's the necessary vaccinations, a repeat prescription or insect bite treatment, so you're well prepared.
- Jet lag tips - plan ahead to avoid the worst of the symptoms
- In-flight health - keep an eye on yourself on the plane an you'll arrive at your destination in good health
- Vaccinations for travel - make sure you've had the right jabs and tablets in time
- Travellers with special needs - advice for pregnant women and people with disabilities
- Essential items for travel - a few basic items can make a big difference
Don't let ill-health spoil your holiday or travels. With a bit of preparation before you go, and avoiding the common illnesses while you're away, you'll have a safe, healthy holiday.